GLOW 47 is planned to take place at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Ben Gurion University of the Negev. This decision was reached by the GLOW board after an online questionnaire in 2021, receiving a 2/3 majority of votes (26/39) in favor of GLOW in Israel. At the business meeting at GLOW 45 in London in April 2022, the venues were confirmed. In May 2022, the GLOW board received a letter asking us to reconsider the choice. After extensive discussions, the board decided in June 2022 to move forward with the plan to hold GLOW 47 in Israel. Nevertheless there has been an ongoing protest against this decision, leading to the recent establishment of the LODGI group (with 28 signatories as of November 24, 2022):
See also some discussion here.
A summary of all letters can be downloaded from here.
In light of the ongoing protests and to make sure that the board’s decision reflects the view of the GLOW community, we are reaching out to ask for input regarding whether a new vote should be held or not. This will be determined via a vote using the following procedure:
- The voting pool consists of all active GLOW members, the current GLOW abstract reviewers, the LODGI signatories, as well as everyone who has been a GLOW member, presenter or organizer at least once between January 1, 2020 and January 1, 2023.
- The vote (about whether to hold a new vote about GLOW 47) will open on January 2, 2023 and close on January 15, 2023.
- The link to the online voting system will be sent by e-mail to everyone eligible to vote, on the day the voting system will open.
- The system will identify eligible voters via their e-mail addresses.
- Those eligible to vote will also receive an information email in the next couple of days. If you think you should be eligible, but have not received an information e-mail by December 20, 2022, please contact the GLOW secretary, Radek Šimík <Radek.Simik@ff.cuni.cz>.
As per GLOW statutes, a simple majority of those who vote will suffice to hold a new vote. The broader GLOW community is consulted for this advisory poll to reflect the ongoing process of the issue. Should the decision be to hold a new vote on the venue of GLOW 47, as per the statutes, only members with an active GLOW membership at the time of the vote will be able to vote.